- Arriving into Istanbul by train, the Bosphorus glistening in the early morning sunshine.
- Exploring Syrrhus archeological site in northern Syria - just me, John, our driver and a French archaeologist
- The locals' hamam in Damascus - the building was 800 years old and no English was spoken
- Enjoying the silence and solitude of the hiking trails of the Dana National Reserve in Jordan
- Spending an hour with the Sabyinyo gorilla family in Rwanda
- Serengeti Balloon ride, lying waiting for the balloon to tip upright and take off
- Driving through the early evening sunshine in the Serengeti, head out of the top of the jeep scanning the "endless plains"
- Helicopter ride (front seat) over Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Okavango Delta, Botswana - being poled through the reeds on a hot day
- Listening to the lions roaring at night at the campsite waterhole in Etosha National Park, Namibia
- Standing at the Cape of Good Hope - the south-western most point of Africa and a long way from London
- Eating fresh fish and drinking cold beer all afternoon at the fish market in Maputo, Mozambique
- Attempting, and failing, to cross the Lowari pass (northern Pakistan) by jeep in the dark, due to landslides.
- Stepping off the side of the hill at Sarangkot to (tandem!) paraglide above Pokhara, Nepal
- Enjoying the majesty of the Himalayas, in particular the Annapurna mountain range from the viewpoint just below Poon Hill
- Lying in the meditation room at Sadhana Yoga, watching the paragliders against the deep blue sky
- Gazing at Mount Everest on the overland journey (Friendship Highway) from Kathmandu to Lhasa
- Idling away my time on Koh Rong island off the Cambodian coast. Swim, eat, read, snooze, swim, read, eat, take a stroll, swim, beer, eat, play cards, sleep...
- The wind in my hair on the back of an Easy Rider motorbike for five days from Dalat to Danang, Vietnam
- Crossing the Gokteik Viaduct in northern Burma; standing at the open door at the end of the carriage
- Watching the sunset from the top of the ferry while travelling down the Irrawaddy River from Katha to Mandalay
- Pathein to Chaung Tha in Burma - sitting in the front seat of the bus watching chickens being thrown up to an empty wicker basket
- Watching the leopardess teach her cubs to hunt a wild boar in Yala National Park, Sri Lanka
- Enjoying the view from Ella's Rock over the tea plantations in Ella, Sri Lanka after the long tough climb.
- Watching the fishermen haul in their catch on Uppuveli Beach (near Trincomalee, Sri Lanka), with a cold beer in hand
Monday, 21 May 2012
This is my life
When you travel for an extended period of time, you do a surprising amount of mundane things. When spending hours and hours on uncomfortable journeys or wondering when there will be a clean room with hot water again, you can forget why this travelling lark was such a great idea. But then suddenly you realise that you are having one of those "Wow, this is my life and I'm living it!" moments. Some are high-adrenalin but others are more contemplative. As a conclusion to my trip, here are some of the selected highlights of when I sat back, grinned and thought... "Yes, this is why I'm here".